Monday, March 4, 2013

Bully B.E.A.N.S. Lesson



How many of you awesome school counselors have the book Bully B.E.A.N.S. by Julia Cook in your counselor book collection?  I do (actually have 2 copies and the activity and idea book) but anywhoo, I recently had a class visit using this great book during my lesson (this can be used in grades K-3).  So here's what I did:

Book & Activity & Idea Book

-Opened with the question, what is bullying?  Maybe it's me, but somehow everything (to students) is bullying...someone takes a pencil, accidentally bumps into them, you name it and it's considered bullying.  During this time, I talk about what bullying really is considered so the students will have a better understanding of what bullying is.

-I then read the book Bully B.E.A.N.S. to the class.  I really get them involved during the story having them to practice yelling "BACK OFF" as the characters do to the bully (they LOVE this because they get to yell).

Reading the story

-After the story, we review the tips shared in the story on how to deal with a bully.

-I tell the students that I actually have some bully beans to share with them! But first we have to practice getting rid of bullies.  For bully beans I've used jelly beans, but since the store I was in was out of jelly beans I bought fun sized bags of Skittles (I really wasn't feeling going to multiple stores for jelly beans that day).  However since Easter's around the corner, there will be an abundance of jelly beans to be found at pretty much any store.

-I gave each student a sheet of paper where they were to draw a picture of what they thought a bully looked like.
Bully drawing

Another bully drawing, I especially like that the student wrote that the "bule" was going to push the "prsin" in the  "mud putol"

-I had the students hold up the "bullies" and said now we'll use our beans to get rid of the bullies.  Depending on the class you can give the "beans" before or after the lesson (they get really excited about the "beans").

-We then tear up the drawn bullies and get rid of them while cheering and celebrating that we have the power within to stop bullying (this is the message of the book).

Adios Bullies!


Having "bully beans" nearby 


We do recycle
I really enjoyed doing this lesson and think that the students somehow found courage to stand up to bullies with a little help from their own "bully beans" just like in the book!

Do you have any lessons or ideas that you use with the book Bully B.E.A.N.S. please share!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I love Bully B.E.A.N.S! I use it in 4th grade and usually have a fun activity planned, but we never get to it! The kids always end up having such a great discussion and personal connections that we always run out of time! I keep bully beans in my office and still have kids come and ask for one. Of course, they have to tell me which strategy they're going to use before I give it to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Traci, I LOVE your idea of keeping "beans" in your office just in case. I'll definitely be doing that when I hit up the after Easter sales. Thanks for the great idea!

      Delete