Monday, October 22, 2012

JYJ Counselor Blog FAQ's



First off, I want to thank you for reading and contacting me.  I LOVE connecting with other school counselors!  In my connecting with you, I've noticed that I get these questions the most, so I'll share my answers with you.

How do you have time to manage a blog?

Well I actually have superhuman powers that allow me to make it off very little sleep... no not really!  Pretty much like any "new" thing that gets added to our counselor plates, we somehow make do.  During my first 3 years of counseling, I felt as though I did every possible school and counselor duty under the sun and didn't have much time to make my own counseling program the way I wanted it.   I would have never dreamed of writing a blog.  When I got a position at my current school, I was in total shock when the principal told me I was hired to be the counselor and nothing else (whoo hoo).  So since I had more freedom to do counselor things, I thought that a blog would be a great outlet to share and connect with other school counselors.  The good thing about blogging is that it's by my choice and it's something that I really enjoy doing.  I've made great connections with counselors all over!  I blog when I have the time, but managing a blog hasn't felt like a burden at all.  Once I got into my groove of how I wanted my blog to flow (it took a while) things kind of fell into place. 

How often do you write on your blog?

Some bloggers write on certain days of the week at certain times of the day, that's not quite me.  I write whenever I have an idea to share.  Now here's the catch, I almost NEVER complete a post in one sitting.  Whenever I get an idea for a blog post, I usually start the post and come back to writing as I feel like it and as the "project" progresses.  Some posts take me a few days, while others take weeks (or longer).  I try to be detailed with pictures and directions in my posts so, that's why it may take me a while.  Some posts are my 1st time trying out something new and I want to make sure I have all my "ducks in a row" (my mother says that). 

Will using an iPad really enhance my counseling program?

Absolutely!  Now I know some people aren't fans of Apple products but that's the beauty of choosing another tablet (there are many other options on the market).  I can speak based on my experience with my iPad and it has been wonderful!  When I got an iPad, I was determined to make it work for me both personally and professionally and it has!  I use my iPad every day I'm at school.  I'm still learning new and innovative ways to incorporate its use into my counseling program.  Stay tuned, I'll be sure to share with you!

I heart using my iPad!

Where do you get your ideas from?

Oh my, I consider myself to be kind of a free spirit so my ideas just come to me.  I could be sitting reading and get an idea to try at school.  I use Pinterest and read other blogs from school counselors to get inspiration also.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments.  I LOVE connecting with other school counselors. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment