Monday, October 15, 2012

Career Planning

Yes, you read the title right, career planning can begin at the elementary level.  I highly suggest to parents that they encourage career exploration and allow their child(ren) to search and learn about careers that they may be interested in.
When I ask students "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I hear anything from policeman to grass cutter.  I will admit that my own career plans have changed numerous times from dentist, to marketing exec, to teacher, to school counselor and so may our students (and it's perfectly ok if they do)!  I love the imagination and desire that children have when asked that.

Many students are very passionate about telling me their career choices and feel that they've chosen what will make them most happy.  I tell them that I am a school counselor because it absolutely makes me happy to work at my school and see the wonderful students here (which is 100% true).   I'm glad that I had the opportunity to explore my various career interests and learn truly what was the best fit for me!  Some resources that may be helpful in your student's career exploration search are:

-My Next Move
-Occupational Outlook Network
-Paws in Jobland
-Career Information for Kids, Bureau of Labor Statistics
-Career Exploration Guides and Resources for Younger Students
-Career Games
-Careers in Science & Technology
-Kids Work!
-Your Child's Career
-Career Aisle Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Andrea! I'm piloting a new 4th grade career unit this year and hadn't seen a couple of these links. I'm so grateful - perfect timing, as I'm just putting together the finishing touches! I'll let you know how it goes!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete