Monday, August 6, 2012

Creating a personalized counselor notebook

One of my (many) do list plans for the summer was to create a counselor's notebook that was truly for me.  In years past I've always used several notebooks and calendars and keeping up with 2-3 extra items became quite a task.  I wanted to combine all those things that I used separately into 1 notebook.  I saw several ideas on Pinterest from educators on making a personal notebook and they looked pretty do-able.  So here's what I did to create my perfect counselor notebook:

Things used:

Mead 5 Star Flex, 3 subject notebook, Staples $9.49.

Avery tabs (5 w/cute designs), Staples $3.99

Monthly Calendar click here for free printables

My daily counselor notes template (I created this myself)

Notebook paper for jotting down notes, etc.
After I put my new counselor notebook together, I used my label maker to make labels for each of my tabs.

Label maker
Labels for tabs

Finished product, I added clear labels with my name on front.


I'm so excited that I have an "Andrea" counselor notebook of things that I used daily and hope that it will keep me (more) on track for this school year. 

 Have you created or found the "perfect" school counselor planner/notebook?
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I have created a document on Word that I keep as my schedule. I use specific fonts and colors that are associated with consulting, counseling, planning, testing, etc. I can print it off at anytime for my own purposes or to give to an administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what you have created. I struggle with keeping track of things sometimes and anything I can carry with me would be great.

      Delete
  2. Sarah, that's a cool idea and a neat way to keep your schedule electronically. Believe it or not, I prefer a paper & pencil calendar but I'm slowly trying to go electronically (iCal/Google Calendar). Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I'm notorious for having multiple notebooks and pads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I lived by no less than 3 notebooks, lol. That's why I'm trying to stick to just ONE notebook for the year.

      Delete
  4. Would you mind sharing the counseling template you made...I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't sure if I would use this much as I love having my calendars and to do list on my computer. Now I'm a counseling intern and don't have a computer. I'm OBSESSED with creating this notebook for myself. I still have to figure out a way to keep my calendar of things that happen regularly and have a schedule of what's happening daily. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! Organization is always such a challenge for me as a school counselor. Can you please post the counseling template? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I'm interested in counseling and I was wondering why did you decide to become a school guidance counselor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out a previous post on why I became interested in school counseling:
      http://jyjoynercounselor.blogspot.com/2012/06/school-counselorfulfilling-career.html

      Delete
  8. Doing right now! Thank you for posting :)

    ReplyDelete