Monday, February 10, 2014

School Counselor Wear to Work Series- Part I


Yes, you're reading the title correctly this post is about clothes, fashion, style and of course school counseling.  I'm an avid reader of fashion blogs and Pinterest boards and I thought "I haven't seen much about fashion in the school counseling world" so I checked with another source (blog bestie Danielle from The School Counselor Blog and newbie school counselor Allison from The Sequined School Counselor) and they both agreed there's just not much fashion fun for school counselors out there.  So I decided that a series of posts on school counselor work fashion wouldn't hurt and would be something both fun and different to do.   When I did a Google image search of "school counselor" this is what came up:



Well I am excited that "school counselor" is being used (not the "G" word, yay).  However, I haven't seen too many counselors that resemble this.  I am in no way a fashion expert, although I LOVE reading and seeing fashion and getting ideas to wear for myself and I'll share with you some of what I wear to work.  From reading these fashion blogs, I also decided that for 2014, I would go on a shopping diet and do a closet challenge, which means I can only wear clothes that I already have in my closet (that's the challenge, gasp).  I know I'm not the only one that looks in my closet and says "I don't have anything to wear"!  I'll say that this closet challenge has really made me take time to put something together and has actually been fun.  

In the first of four posts about school counselor fashion I'll be giving a little background about my style at work. 

-How would you describe your school counselor work fashion style?
I’d consider my style preppy with an edge, meaning I like classic looks with just a little something “extra” in it.  I love to wear color and prints and am certainly not afraid to do so.  I feel that you should feel comfy and confident in what you wear  both in and outside of work.  

-What's the staff dress code like at your school?
Dress at my school is very relaxed, staff can wear jeans any day of the week.  I wear jeans only on Friday’s, so Monday-Thursday I dress professionally.  It’s just a personal choice, when I taught high school, I was often mistaken for a student and dressing professional was a way not to be mistaken for a student ( I don’t have this “problem” anymore working at an elementary school). 

-What you wear in the following settings? I have pics and I'll tell you where I bought the outfit from (I love when other bloggers list that info)! 
  • School Open House/Parent Event

Shirt & Cardigan: J. Crew Factory, Belt: Old Navy, Skirt: Banana Republic, Tights: HUE (Macy's), Shoes: Nine West

Shirt & Sweater:  Old Navy, Pants: Calvin Klein (Macy's), Shoes:  BP by Nordstrom
  • Day to Day School 
Cardigan:  J. Crew Factory, Shirt: Thrifted, Belt: Gap, Skirt:  Thrifted, Tights:  HUE (Macy's), Boots:  Nine West

Shirt: Old Navy, Vest: Charter Club (Macy's), Belt: BEBE, Skirt: Old Navy, Tights: HUE (Macy's), Boots: Cole Haan
  • School Spirit 
Shirt:  Staff shirt, Scarf: Gifted, Jeans: Old Navy, Shoes: Converse
Spelling Bee Day (stripes, get it) w/ my fab School Speech Pathologists.  Shirt & Pants:  JC Penny, Shoes:  Nine West

  • Professional Development/Conference/Workshop

  Shirt & Sweater: Banana Republic  Skirt:  Charter Club (Macy's) Shoes:  Nine West
Shirt: Old Navy, Belt: Gap, Skirt: Banana Republic, Tights: HUE (Macy's) Boots: Nine West, Necklace: Charming Charlie's


Stay tuned there's more to share in this series and you'll be able to share your school counselor fashion style in an upcoming post!  

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I am loving this! I always need style tips and ideas. Love love love the fox sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your style, Andrea!!! Wow!!! So many cute things!!! Not only to you have amazing school counseling ideas, but you have amazing school counselor style too!!! LOVE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea for a blog series, Andrea!!! I've always admired your style - fun, such great use of color, and always put together! Love how you've listed where you purchased your items and also love the "before" and "after" pictures of each outfit. Bravo!! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing, as always! I especially like the chandelier "hat" in the professional development photo - haha!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks soooo much for the positive feedback! It's so fun to share work-wear w/ other school counselors. Stay tuned there will be an opportunity for you all to share your style too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! I read fashion blogs as well and love to read where they purchased the items. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, I love it.....let's go shopping!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVEEEE The outfits! So fun and creative! I think my favorites would have to be the fox sweater, vest, and the checkered skirt!! So cute!

    I am a counselor in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and I have definitely fallen in love with some of the clothes our Vietnamese teachers wear. They have a very feminine Zooey Deschanel look! I have began filling my closet with vintage dresses, cardigans, and high-waisted skirts!

    I hope to see some more outfits on your blog for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with all of the points keep up the good work about clothes.Thanks for sharing this.

    modest clothing stores & modest dresses

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! I'm starting my first elementary school counseling position next week and I love seeing what others wear! I was in a high school last year and I'm glad (as you also expressed) that I can be a little more casual and not be mistaken for a student anymore!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete